Just popping by with a quick post today, as this is my third Oslo Cardigan to hit the blog in the last year. This time, though, I’ve gone and made a longline Seamwork Oslo. Go me! I’m modelling it in the pictures, but it’s now with Mum. She’s a similar size to me at the shoulders, which is what matters with a pattern like this 🙂
I made this with a ribbed grey sweater knit (affiliate link) from Minerva, which I paid for with my own money for a change 🙂 It’s a medium weight with a nice drape, and is still in stock in five colours if you’re interested. What I loved about this fabric was it behaved really nicely when sewing up, and the ribbed and marled yarn gives more interest and depth than a regular plain sweater knit. Plus it’s really soft against your skin! It’s not super warm so not suitable for winter woolies, unless you layer it up well. On the plus side, that should make it something Mum can wear for most of the year here in the UK.
I made an Oslo for mum before (blogged here) as well as one for my sister (blogged here), both of which I added pockets to – because why wouldn’t you?! This time I also added another six inches in length at Mum’s request. She says she likes a cardigan to give good bum coverage! This really was as simple as adding six inches onto the bottom of the pattern pieces while cutting out. It was made extra easy using my 24×6″ quilting ruler. I love that thing!
I definitely recommend making an altered longline Seamwork Oslo if you like a longer cardigan and had passed this pattern by as a result. It’s a really simple pattern with some nice details, like a generous shawl neckline and lovely deep cuffs you can turn up. I think it’s massively improved by adding pockets, but that’s a super simple addition. I added a piece of grosgrain ribbon to the top which was folded under twice and stitched in place (by hand, but you could machine), then sewed the bottom of the pocket to the side panels, folded it up, basted along the edges of the side panels and continued assembling the cardigan as per the instructions.
And here’s a couple of views of the back so you can check out the bum coverage!
The picture with my arms raised also illustrates one of the features of the Oslo that I don’t think suits me, but which others like my mum love: the almost batwing style sleeves. That combined with the shawl collar just don’t work on me, but I’m glad to have a pattern I can sew up for Mum whenever she wants a new cardigan. I now need to find all the sweater knits in all the colours. Which for Mum is plum, pink and blue, mainly.
Pattern: Seamwork Oslo Cardigan (pdf only)
Fabric: Ribbed grey sweater knit (affiliate link) from Minerva
Modifications: added 15cm to the length and pockets
- Pattern: £3.72 —based on: $3.00 for the Seamwork download credit (£2.13) Pattern printing: £9.03 for 3 A0 sheets. Totals £11.16 but used three times so £3.72 a time.
- Fabric: £26.97 (3m at £8.99/m – fabric currently retails at £9.99/m)
- Notions: £0.00 (ribbon for reinforcing pockets and neckline from my stash)
- Total: £30.69
That’s a pretty respectable total, and I reckon I’ll be able to get a jumper or dress for Lauren out of the leftovers too.
On the Sewing Table
I’ve transferred all the pattern alterations from my Butterick B5526 shirt toile onto my paper pattern, using the proper techniques detailed in the The Palmer Pletsch Complete Guide to Fitting (affiliate link). This was a little bit fiddly what with doing the full bust adjustment across two princess panels, but not as tricky as I thought it would be. I love having a big roll of cross and dot paper. Makes this sort of thing so much easier 🙂
Now I have to decide whether to cut another toile based on the new pieces, or just go for it with the good fabric (possibly cutting extra wide seam allowance and baste fitting first). Just how much of a risk taker do I feel like being?!
I have done some sewing this week: I altered a breastfeeding top I made a few years ago to the non-breastfeeding version, and have rediscovered a pattern that I now want to make again and again! It’s the Knot Your Average Shirt and Dress from 5 out of 4 Patterns and I thoroughly recommend it if you’re after a knit top with a nice bit of shaping over the bust.
I’m also currently sewing up my red corduroy Closet Core Jenny trousers (originally intended as a possibly wearable toile) and that’s going well. There’s not many steps required for just the trousers, so I reckon I should have them finished by the end of the weekend. If I get time I’ll also cut out my McCalls M6517 raincoat – possibly just the microfleece lining so I can check the fit before cutting into the waterproof stuff. I’m really excited about this project! I can see me getting into sewing outerwear more as I get to a stage when my regular wardrobe is pretty much complete.
Next Friday I’ll be sharing a refashion of a maternity dress I shared here on the blog three years ago. It’s been great to get that one back in my wardrobe!
Ciao for now,